Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

I have finally decided to get serious about working out. And being that I don't have a personal trainer, and I'm not that shy about sharing embarrassing details, I figured the best way to track my progress and press forward was to keep a public diary of my exercise trials and tribulations.

I have not kept a regular exercise routine since having to do the Wellness class in high school PE. And even then, I was only somewhat successful because I was trying to keep pace with a guy who was crazy dedicated to working out. That was the one and only year I remember having any definition to my arms.

It was only 3 short years ago that I was weighing at 125. After having a desk job (with no supplemental job at the bookstore that gave me a day to day workout with lifting boxes of books and walking all over the store), living in Tennessee where I ate far too many things that only added inches to my figure AND having a baby, I am now clocking in at 174. I do know that during my pregnancy, I went a little too buck-wild on having ice cream again. There was something strange that went on while I was pregnant with Violet that caused my former lactose intolerance to disappear and I became enthusiastic friends with Ben and Jerry once more. HUGE downfall.

But now I aim to lose as much as I possibly can so that I can fit into a decent sized wedding gown at the celebration we want to have with the large group of people who we didn't get to invite to our ceremony last July.

The equipment I have to help me on my endeavor, other than the nagging voice in my head whenever I try to put on clothes, is the following:
  • exercise ball with base
  • yoga mat
  • Yoga Workout for Dummies DVD
  • Denise Austin Fit & Firm Pregnancy (which apparently has something for post-pregnancy)
  • two 5 lb dumbbells
  • iPod
  • Netflix on the Wii
  • Skechers Tone Up sneakers
  • stroller and a baby who should be aired out as much as her Mommy
I will be posting my weight once a week to help me track what's going on. I will also be posting the exercise routines I find on YouTube so that I can find them easily and possibly share with whomever is reading my new blog.

Any helpful suggestions on any of this will be received with open, and hopefully sore, arms.

Let's see how successful I am at this experiment.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck Susan! I know all too well how difficult the road to fitness can be (I still struggle with it myself every day), and I think you are extremely brave for keeping honest with this blog. I'll be cheering for ya here from NJ :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo! Kick butt, starting with your own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you can do it! (think water boy)

    Ellen Barret's Crunch workouts on Netflicks are VERY good! Start with the tone one- (She's wearing a pink outfit) I think that one is mild in terms of lots of stretching and gentle pilates. Then you can work yourself up to the fat busting pilates and the ab crunch. It's like having a gym membership for free! You can also enter your food into calorie counter.com as long as you promise not to be obsessive. It's actually great accountability to make healthy choices because it grades you on what you are good in and what you lack so that the point is NOT reducing calories, but to get healthy!

    I'm pulling for you!!! LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete