Saturday, April 23, 2011

Making my (and your) tax dollars work

This morning I was up bright and early to give Violet her 6am diaper change and morning feeding and, for reasons I won't get into here, I couldn't go back to sleep. I used this early morning alertness to get a jump start on the day. Showered, found work out clothes and gathered the items needed for the trip to the base gym.

I was at the gym shortly after it opened so there were very few people milling around, much to my delight. I chose to do some cardio work first and eventually found the room with the elliptical machines. Since I was the only one there, I didn't feel at all foolish huffing and puffing and mouthing the words to the music pumping through my iPod.

I'm not completely certain how many calories I was able to burn because I got interrupted by a phone call 12 minutes in, but I do know that my average heart rate was 180 and I stayed on that machine for about 20 min total. Seems pretty good for my first chance on aerobic reentry.

I wanted to try out the weight machines and selected the ab rotation, the shoulder press, the leg press, and the ab cruncher. I'll have to really map out what to use and how many repetitions I should do, but I just wanted a small taste for today.

All in all, I think just under an hour's worth of work for my first time back is not so bad. I'm going back tomorrow morning and since the gym is open until 11pm on weekdays, I'm making a plan to go every day, except for Thursday because I have a banquet to go to with Scott. (We even have a babysitter for that night! First time... eek.) The daily visit will only be an experiment for a week since I'm planning a trip down to my parents' place for the beginning week of May.

No comments:

Post a Comment